Sunday 3 November 2019

Priceline CEO on Creating an In-House Multilingual Customer Service Operation

darren huston, darren-huston

When I was in high school, some 30 years ago, I studied abroad for two years in a small Italian village where no one spoke English. Even when I went to a city, such as Venice, I rarely found people who spoke my native language. That has changed completely. You can do business in English almost anywhere in the developed world, with the possible exception of Japan.

But in a global consumer-facing business, there’s no question that you must speak the language of your customers, wherever they are. At Booking.com, The Priceline Group’s largest global business (it operates in more than 220 countries and territories), we work hard to meet that goal by employing people who can answer calls in dozens of languages.

Even though we’re designed to facilitate online reservations, travelers call us for all sorts of reasons. Travel is a big-ticket item, and people want to get it right. Sometimes they want to confirm the details, or they don’t realize they can make changes online. Sometimes they simply want to talk to a human being. 
 

The Path to the Priceline Group

I (Darren Huston) grew up in Canada, where I spoke English at home. I learned French as well as Italian when I was a teenager, and after college I worked in the Canadian government, where my boss was from Quebec and would speak to me only in French.

After graduating from Harvard Business School, I joined McKinsey & Company. As a consultant, I learned that I aspired to lead a company and that I prefer B2C businesses over B2B businesses. I understand how consumers interact with brands, and I like being able to use the products myself. (I even like handling customer complaints directly, which I still do.)

While I was working for McKinsey in Seattle, I saw Howard Schultz, the CEO of Starbucks, give a speech. I found him and his company very compelling.

Enhanced Service

The people who founded Booking.com recognized the importance of great customer service, and they created an incredibly solid foundation. Nevertheless, when I arrived, it was a relatively small operation. We didn’t support every language, and our service was good but not excellent. We lacked a number of systems and processes.

The customer service phone number was hard to find on our website. So we began to test changes. One of the first was making the phone number visible on every page. That increased costs a bit, but the impact on loyalty more than compensated.

Cultural Nuances

When we consider how to staff our phone centers, we think not just about the popularity of languages but also about the cultural factors that will drive demand for reps that speak them. For instance, people in emerging markets such as Brazil and China tend to call more frequently, perhaps because they’re unaccustomed to booking trips solely online.

The Dutch (theirs was our second language, after English) call the least. South Americans tend to stay on calls longer, so we may need more reps speaking their languages to avoid keeping people on hold.

Graceful Translations

Booking.com is the largest online accommodations platform in the world, by almost any measure. Our conversion rates (from looker to booker) are known to be the highest in the industry, and our loyal customers have very high repeat rates. We have grown almost fourfold in five years, and we’ve been rated one of the most international websites on the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Microsoft's AI Generates Chinese and English Voices

Analysts at Zhejiang College and Microsoft announce they've built up an AI system — DeepSinger — that may produce performing voices i...